THOMAS GERARD CASCIONE
Thomas Cascione has litigated well over 100 jury trials to verdict in a large variety of forums and covering a broad range of issues. He gained his skills as an Assistant District Attorney in the Bronx District Attorney’s Office where in his years in the Supreme Court Bureau he led the office in cases tried. After leaving the District Attorney in 1987 he developed a criminal defense practice where he achieved “Not Guilty” verdicts in murder, robbery, rape, narcotics, DWI and corruption cases. Many of these cases were in the headlines and he also frequently served as a guest commentator on Court TV, commenting on criminal cases all over the country.
After accepting appointment as General Counsel of the New York State Shields (a prestigious law enforcement charitable and fraternal organization) he chose to limit his criminal practice in favor of civil litigation. He tried and won his first medical malpractice/wrongful death case in 1990. Since then he has litigated cases in all five boroughs, Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Rockland, Dutchess, Putnam, Orange and Albany Counties as well as in the Federal District Courts of New York, New Jersey and Florida.
Mr. Cascione has been nominated to the Million Dollar Lawyers club for several verdicts he achieved in the seven figure range and frequently briefs and argues his own appeals. He has also tried insurance defense cases for major carriers and successfully represented uninsured businesses or individuals sued for catastrophic damages.
• Mr. Cascione has been a member of the Bronx County and Westchester County Bar Associations, the New York County Lawyers Association, the New York State and Florida Bar Associations and the American Bar Association.
• Columbian Lawyers (Italian-American Bar Assoc.) and Mario Merola Alumni Assoc. (Former Bronx Assistant District Attorneys)
• General Counsel New York State Shields Inc.
• Legal Advisor NY and NJ Detectives Crime Clinic
• Legal Advisor Fraternal Order of Police, Stephen Driscoll Lodge
• Mock Trial Judge/Advisor St. John’s Law and Pace Law School
• Mr. Cascione is highly involved in his town and is a member of :
• Eastchester Town Historical Society
• Order Sons of Italy in America, Garibaldi Lodge #2583
• Eastchester Irish-American Social Club
• AHEPA Evzone Chapter #405
• Boy Scouts of America, Scarsdale Troop 2 (Committee & Counselor)
An avid Scuba enthusiast, Mr. Cascione is a licensed Divemaster and a member of the New York Sea Gypsies Club (Manhattan), The Scuba Sports Club (Westchester) and the Long Island Divers Association. He was the longtime director of the Durland Scuba School for the Boy Scouts, Westchester Putnam Council and is a staff member of the Beneath The Sea organization which annually holds the world’s largest consumer dive show at the Meadowlands Arena.
A naturalist and woodsman, Mr. Cascione is a member of the Connecticut and Westchester Mycological Association and the North American Mycological Association and has lectured on identifying wild plants and mushrooms.
For many years a life member of the New York Athletic Club, he is the former president and a current board member of their Scuba Intraclub as well as an active member of their Yacht and Pistol Shooting clubs. He is also a classic car enthusiast and is restoring a 1962 Corvette and a 1958 Pontiac Chieftain.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- 70% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New York, 1982
- Florida, 1984
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1983
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1983
- St. John's University School of Law, Jamaica, New York